6.15.2009

Weeds

I sprayed for weeds late last week in the backyard. The front yard is surprisingingly free of weeds, so I think I can spot-spray there.

I did have one hit-your-forehead forehead moment. I had some weed killer left over from last year. I started with an Ortho product. I read the instruction and used a hose-end sprayer set at one ounce/gallon. That ran out about a third through the backyard, so I grabbed some Bayer concentrate, quickly scanned the instruction and saw the mixture was 1 1/2 ounce/gallon. So I changed the setting on my hose-end sprayer and finished up the backyard. That's when I looked more closely at the instruction and saw the warning "Don't use with a hose-end sprayer." Whoops! I did notice that the Bayer product was thicker than the Ortho, but it did get sucked up by the sprayer, so it appears to have worked. It's been three days and I am seeing the leaves wilt on both areas, so I think I'm okay. Not sure why the Ortho is supposed to mixed only in a pump sprayer. It was thicker, so maybe they are concerned about getting a proper mixture with the hose-end sprayer.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm so happy to see it is NOT just me and my black thumb! Despite all my best efforts... I could not grow grass.. so well, I moved to a condo :)... That said, it sounds like you have plenty of likely culprits (not faithfully watering, old seed, hard rain etc). I'm fairly certain your 6wk old grass will die if you put weed killer on it though...

hancey said...

yes,i also face the problem like you in my lawn there is no grass ,but i got the tips from turf suppliers, will provide replacement Turf grass as needed to replace any dead areas of a turf Lawn .its help me alot

turf for lawns said...

This seems to be a great site which offers lawn turf supplies, lawn turf grass, lawn turf suppliers,lturf for lawns, grass brisbane, palmetto grass, varieties of grass, lawns grass, lawn & turf, lawn turf, turf lawn, turf suppliers etc. and I would surely like to try their service...I had been relying on http://www.hanceysturf.com.au earlier and they too offered good services.