Seeding Update

My effort to kill the grass by the berm was, as I expected, only partially successful. After I started to get some die-off, I was able to go back in and spot spray the stuff that was missed by the first application. I did the spot spraying on Tuesday, so I should be good to go over the next couple of days.

I plan on mowing the dead grass very short. Then, I had some soil delivered today that I'll be using to fill in some low spots and even out that part of the lawn before I seed it. I got way more soil then I need so I may fill in some other low spots in the back yard (the yard was not leveled correctly when it was first seeded by the builder).

I let you know how the seeding goes.


Grass Killer

Sprayed Roundup Thursday on the section of lawn between the street and the sidewalk. I've had a lot of trouble with weeds and a poor grass mix in that area, so I'm going to reseed it after everything dies off. The label says you can replant in 3 days, but it seems to me, I've been told it's better to wait a week. It will depend on the weather, I suppose.

One thing I regret is that I used the hose-sprayer to apply the Roundup instead of a spray canister. You have to set the dial for six ounces per gallon and it came out way faster than I was anticipating. I was half-way done with the section of lawn and realized I'd already used about 3/4ths of the concentrate, so I had to hurry just to get some down on the rest of it. I'll probably end up with a really good kill on the first half and I'll have to spot treat the rest. Oh well. You learn something new every day.

I'll keep you updated on the progress with some pictures in the next couple of days.


Finally got out to mow the lawn for the first time yesterday. It had gotten way to high, so I was definitely cutting off more than I was supposed to. I probably should have bagged it because the blade couldn't mulch it up very well at all.
Anyway, it was a chance to get a good look at how the lawn survived the winter (I'm not one of those people who gets out and rakes, even though I should be one of those people if I want a perfect lawn!). I was pleased to see that there are very few weeds in the turf, but with the weather we've had, there hasn't been a real chance for them to emerge, I suppose. Also, the spots I reseeded last year-despite not growing all that quickly or fully-now seem to have taken hold. It was hard to tell exactly where the new patches were. I guess I used a seed that more closely matched the old grass.

Now the disappointments
I still have far too many spots that are brown (not just where the dog did his business all winter). The thatch is not that thick in the lawn, so that's not the problem, I don't believe. I'll have to do some more investigating.
I'm hoping to get out this week and kill off the section of grass out by the berm. It has always been a sore spot with me how many weeds are in that section and how poorly the grass took here. I'll be killing it off and reseeding. I'll let you know how it goes.