6.11.2008

It's Alive!!!

Finally some growth in the spots I re-seeded 2 weeks ago.

You can just start to see the shoots of thin Kentucky Bluegrass pushing through. The little green balls are a cover/starter fertlizer material that I put down after seeding (I had some left over from a previous seeding effort so I used it).
Steve Sagaser with NDSU Extension says it's taken 2 weeks because bluegrass is a slower germinating grass seed. That's why many manufacturers mix rye grasses with it so that you see growth about a week after planting which is the rye grass and the bluegrass comes in later. There's nothing wrong with that idea, but Steve says rye grass tends to die out in late August and it's thicker-bladed which some people don't like to see with the finer-bladed bluegrass. So I'm on my way to filling in some rough spots. We'll have a progress report on the entire project tonight on WDAZ News @ 5.

No comments: