5.27.2008

Dandelion Update


The Trimec I used last week appears to be doing its job. The dandelions in my yard are starting to wither. I applied it will a garden hose sprayer set to one ounce per gallon. I did go in Monday and spot spray a few weeds that didn't seem to be showing many signs of going down. I don't know if I missed them or if I was moving too quickly and they didn't get hit with enough product. In the image at left, you see a plant that is dying off.

The plant at the right was doing better, so I hit it again. It was showing a few signs, but was careful to spot spray only the plant, so I figured it was okay to make sure.

On Thursday's Turf Tips on WDAZ News at 5, I'll be talking about the benefits of aerating your lawn, something I've not done before in the 10 years I've lived in my home so I'm overdue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any suggestions for re-growing grass after my dog has killed it time and again by peeing in the same spot?

Do I have to reseed every spring/summer?

Thanks!

Milo said...

I'm worried about the same problems after getting our first dog last fall. I believe that you should follow the advise Steve gave to an earlier viewer question about snow mold. You probably should reseed if you want it to come back more quickly, although it probably will on its own after a while. Steve tells me that he trained his dog to go in only one part of his lawn so that he doesn't get spots all over. I don't think my dog is going to be that trainable, although sometime this summer I'm going to test a product I saw at the pet store that supposedly attracts the dog to go in the same spot. I'll keep you posted.